Thursday, May 24, 2012

Additions

It was brought to my attention today that if you subscribed to my blog posts, then it does not also send you a notification if I posted anything on my "Pages" widget, which I renamed as "Common Inquiries" on the right side of my layout.  Therefore, now I am making it known that I have posted a section of links that takes you to a separate, stationary page or post that is respective to the name of the link.  The only link I have on there right now is called, "Why the Peace Corps?"  I figured it is a commonly asked question, and I thought it best to keep it on a separate page instead of having to scroll all the way to the bottom or the oldest post to find it.  It is a little lengthy so I understand if you don't get through it all, but it does give a decent scope on why I chose to apply to the Peace Corps.  I will be adding more links later as I see fit, but for now you just get the why answered.

[In case you were wondering how to subscribe to my blog, there is a box near the bottom, left side of my blog that reads, "Enter email to subscribe."  After doing what it says and submitting it, it will take you to a window to type in the verification characters.  Once you type those correctly and click the button to the right of that, you are done!  The subscription basically signs you up so that you receive a notification for every time I post an entry instead of having to stalk my blog every day to see if there is anything new.  Yay for efficiency!  Anyway, I digress...]

Another feature I have on the right side of the blog is one that has been there since the birth of this digital log, but some of you may not have seen it or paid it any notice - a Twitter feed.  I recently got a Kindle Keyboard 3G that I will be taking with me to Tanzania, and I hope the Kindle's 3G, or in this case EDGE coverage, will allow me to connect to the internet at my site, even for a handful of minutes at a time.  The internet, IF I have any at my site, will definitely be unreliable and slow, but it is something.  I should be able to connect to Twitter at least to post something like, "I'm alive" every once in a while.  ;)

Lastly, I have added my Flickr photostream.  This is the first time I have ever actually made an effort to post any pictures on Flickr, though I presume it is as good a time as ever.  I will still try to post "highlight" pictures in the actual blog post, but every picture I deem worthy to enter the realms of my Flickr account will be displayed as thumbnails on my blog, the most recent first.

Those are the main changes for now, but I am sure other updates will ensue once I get in-country.  Sneak preview: I may be including a wish-list. *wink wink*

1 comment:

  1. Be sure to call your cellular provider and get confirmation of the type of cellular network that Tanzania runs. Most of the world and AT&T run on gsm networks. If your 3G kindle is designed to operate on CDMA networks like the kind that Verizon and sprint use, it won't work in Africa. Many times u can buy gsm equipment (kindles, iPads and cellphones) that use a sim card purchased in the country you're traveling to. When u do this, you pay local rates for voice and data transmissions. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete