Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Anxious

Two weeks from this very moment, I will be mid-air somewhere between Philadelphia and Tanzania.  Yes, the time is drawing nearer for me to be leaving the comforts of my home to step foot in an unfamiliar place.  I am extremely excited, more than my body can bear, but of course, the nerves are definitely there.  (Oh hey, that rhymed!)  I don't think I have ever felt so nervous about anything in my life, but it is a good kind of nervous.  I just can't wait to get there and there is pretty much nothing that will stop me from going!

I am scheduled to leave on the morning of Sunday, June 3rd and will spend about a day and a half in Philadelphia for staging.  I get to spend the afternoon and evening in Philly for the first night I am there, but once I check-in to staging events, it will be a full day of Peace Corps activities from noon to about 7pm.  I mentioned briefly in a previous post that staging will include a Peace Corps welcome, filling out and turning in forms, and getting a plethora of vaccinations.  (Remember, I will not be finding out my site information just yet - that will come much later at the end of in-country training.)  Once the day is done, I will eat, sleep, or more accurately take a "nap," and then check out of the hotel at 2am to get on a bus that will take us trainees to JFK Airport in New York.  Then, I will be on my way to the big TZ!

Another thing that I am getting a wee bit anxious about is the fact that I have not exactly packed yet...  BUT, I have been doing some research lately via my resources (aka PC Wiki, current PCVs, and some fellow rookies connected through Facebook) and have compiled quite a list to pack.  I will touch more on that in one of my next posts about packing.  There seems to be so much to do and so little time!  I don't think it has really hit me yet that I will be going so soon...but I am sure it will hit when I am on the plane, when I land in Tanzania, or something of the sort.  Hopefully the person next to me is a really good listener. :)

Well, that's it for now, at least until I report on the hefty task of packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment